BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Where I've Wandered


View Where I've Wandered in a larger map

Sunday, June 21, 2009

Rainy Daze

Day one in Auckland was spent sprinting; across exposed streets and sidewalks to the safety of restaurant canopies and storefront awnings in order to avoid the seemingly unrelenting spotty rain showers. I was determined to see the city sights in spite of the lousy weather. Zig-zagging the streets of Auckland and moseying through shopping centers and boutiques in order to dry off (they didn’t seem to like me toweling off in one particular store, I think the name was Maori “GUCCI”, I don’t know what the translation is but I think it means “Don’t use our coats to dry your face”, the neighboring store, “Lewis Vitton”, he wasn’t a big fan of helping me out either, except out the front door.) Playing hide and go seek with the rain had kept me occupied enough to keep my mind awake and my body away from jet lag. But then 5:30 rolled around and my eyes rolled back. Dragging my legs with each step, I was barely conscious, my fuzzy, dream-like state of mind begged for the only certain remedy, no not sleep, flame-cooked rotating lamb on a stick. After I devoured a gyro and French fries, I was re-energized and ready for the night. The hostel bar was warm and welcoming to a soggy, tired, and weary traveler. Before too long I was enjoying pints with a few Britons, a German, an Estonian (yes, Estonia is a real country) and a New Caledonian fellow. Pub-style shenanigans soon followed , as did a long sleep for the night.

0 comments: